Thursday, June 23, 2005

For Amy : The Recipe for Southern Sweet Tea

It would see my comment that there is no sweet tea up North seemed to draw a lot of attention. :) My bad. Anyway, a nice girl named Amy requested I post the recipe for Southern Sweet Tea. I figured, why not? Sounds cool. If she can start a Northern Sweet Tea craze, I might just head back up there.


Southern Sweet Tea

Incredients
Large Pitcher
Four Lipton Tea Bags
2 cups of sugar
1 pot full of water
1 large stirring spoon


Directions.
1. Set the pot of water to boil. After about five minutes, place it all four tea bags. Let it simmer till the water becomes dark. I am sure you'll know when it's ready.

2. Pour the 2 cups of sugar into the pitcher FIRST.

3. When the tea is ready, pour it into the pitcher next. The hot tea will instantly melt the sugar.

4. Use the pot or take the pitcher to the sink and add in cold water until it reaches the desired level.

5. Use the large spoon to stir it around for about 40 seconds.

6. Serve with glasses filled with ice.

Other Options
A. If you want your tea to taste "stronger" use five bags instead of four. My dad likes it that way. It's what he calls 80 Proof Tea.

B. If two cups of sugar is too much, vary your servings.

C. I actually don't boil the water. I found a large plastic measuring bowl with a handle and I fill it with water then tea then place it in the Microwave for 6 minutes, ten seconds. Works just as well and it's easier than keeping an eye on it.

D. For Diet Sweet Tea, instead of sugar, use Splenda.


Hope this helps, Amy. Let me know what you think.
~Jason

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

Thanks Jason, I'll have to try that out soon! One of my college nicknames was "Tea" because I drank it while up late, online.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amy, don't listen to Jason. He doesn't know what he's talking about. You should use no less than 8 regular size tea bags in the pot. You can use 4 if you buy the "family size" box. Otherwise, you're drinking caffeinated water.

8:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just rediscovered this post. I am going to try out this recipe soon..I never did THREE years ago! Wow..Talk about delays.
And I guess it depends on how large the pitcher is if you want to know how many teabags to use... but I'll opt for more..I like it strong.
It would be good for Jasmine Tea I think..I will try that sometime too.

10:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home